A Southern Teacher's Take

Monday, November 06, 2006

Introduction

I'm an English teacher at a suburban high school in the South. I love my job. A teacher of 14- and 15 year-olds, my patience is tried, my head sometimes aches, and if I don't maintain a sense of humor, I will die. But I love my job.

I find, though, that I need a place to talk about what's going right and what's going wrong in public education. I'm noticing some alarming trends in education, and I don't think I'm the only one. The push for small schools, high-stakes testing, career-intensive instruction...just a few issues...some I like, some I don't.

I have been teaching for several years, and in addition to my B.A. in Literature, I've earned an M.S. in Education. I also teach night classes at a local college. There. Credibility established (anonymously...ha!).

In the next day or two, I'll post my first...rant? Essay? Call for action?

This is going to be fun.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
web site counter
DVD Movie Rentals